Saturday, October 24, 2009

"...they say it's your birthday..."

It's totally not my birthday. We'll get to that in a minute.

Last night, I went to a company dinner (a reward for meeting a whoa-outrageous sales goal with my team) at this lovely, ritzy place in downtown Pittsburgh called The Carlton. There were six of us, including the Prez and VPrez of the company.

I ordered VEAL. Just a day ago, after watching this brutal humane society commercial about animal cruelty with cows and chickens, I swore I was going vegan. But I sat there last night, with my leather boots on and ordered VEAL. And it was AH-MAZING. Sorry baby cow, but you're delicious. And I did donate $20 to the Humane Society this month. So.

Anyway.

We were having this lovely dinner full of great conversation and yummy appetizers and wildly flavorful main courses and brilliant red wine and shots of Patron (like you do, apparently) and then we ordered coffees and cappuccinos and desserts.

Our coffees came and everyone's dessert came. Except mine. I kind of looked around and kind of shrugged and started to sip my cappuccino. I figured the waiter must have forgotten my chocolate raspberry torte but eh, I didn't care. I was just happy to have good people around me and delicious coffee.

Annnnnd then of course.... the entire waitstaff comes out and start singing "Happy Birthday" as they walk towards me with my dessert that of course has a candle stuck in it.


No matter how old your bosses are or how fancy the restaurant is, it's always funny to play the "we're gonna pretend it's someone's birthday" joke on someone.

And it was funny. And very apropos of our group. What's the point of going out and having a fancy meal and lots of wine if you can't enjoy yourself and embarrass at least one person in your party?

Last night was the most fun I've had in a while. It was one of those stress-free, "this restores my faith in my company and my job" kind of evenings.

:-)

1 comment:

Susan said...

Fun! Happy non-birthday.