Friday, July 17, 2009

"...let's waste time chasing cars around our heads..."

I'm an aggressive driver.

I'm really tough on my car.

I don't get her serviced enough. I don't get the tires rotated or buy new tires when I should. I don't get the oil changed when I should. I never have any washer fluid.

This is Angie pretty much every night during a Pittsburgh winter.


(She's sitting there waiting for me to get off work, dust her off and drive her home and tuck her in her car port.)

You can see where this is going.


After driving poor Angie around for months while a red temperature gauge light would come on and beep at me, Jason finally told me I had to park her or risk "blowing a head gasket" - whatever the fuck that means.

An initial investigation revealed that I was leaking coolant. Apparently this is a bad sign. Further investigation showed I had a broken water pump. Another bad sign, I'm told. (I'm a girl. It's not in my genes to just naturally know these things.)

Replacing a water pump (and a timing belt, a thermostat and coolant lines since you're "gonna be in there fixing stuff anyway") runs about $1000-$1200 dollars at a mechanic.

Luckily, my Jason is mechanically inclined and told me "buy the kit to fix it all and I'll do it."

$280ish is much better than $1200.

And I got to watch Jason shirtlessly and sweatily dismantle the inner-workings of my car for 5 hours yesterday. Clearly, I am the winner in more ways than one in this scenario.

He's my knight in shining armor in a lot of ways already. Now I can add "personal mechanic" to that list.

Angie is now back to her old self. And I'm under oath to alert Jason to beeping gauges immediately from now on, lest I should blow a head gasket.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

You've been Tagged!!!
http://fashionista0921.blogspot.com/2009/07/ive-been-tagged.html

LiLu said...

Ugh. I was SO bad with my car... someone should have called Automobile Control Services on me. Thank gawd I am a city girl now...