Monday, June 1, 2009

"...you may say I'm a dreamer... but I'm not the only one..."

On Sunday morning, a doctor who preforms abortions at his clinic was killed in church by an anti-abortion activist.

His clinic is in Wichita, Kansas - one of the few places left in the US where late-term abortions are preformed.

This post is not meant to debate abortions - late-term or otherwise.

It is meant to make the point that this man lived his life to serve the medical needs of women. During his career, his clinic was bombed, he was shot in both of his arms and his neighborhood was papered with anti-abortion literature.

As a student of feminist theory and a hardcore feminist myself, it's rare to find a man who so completely understands the medical rights of women the way this man did.

I am sad and scared. And I can only hope that this doctor's murder does not reignite the same anti-abortion violence that flared up in the 1990's.

No comments: