Sunday, March 29, 2009

"...I guess we'll just have to adjust..."

Readers of this little pink blog may recall my confession about being addicted to gossip blogs. Whilst browsing my blog of choice the other day, I came across the trailer for Spike Jonze's film adaptation of Maurice Sendak's "Where the Wild Things Are."

Now, as the daughter of a school librarian and the sister of a university librarian I can tell you that it is not common for members of the PT family to give much consideration to movies adapted from books. The book is, as you all know, always better.

And in the case of a children's book, the truth is there just often isn't enough plot to make the book into a full feature movie without completely compromising the heart of the book. And "Where the Wild Things Are" is particularly close to our family. And it is the bread and butter of my mothers' story time for her kindergarten classes at the beginning of each school year. (And because Shirl is Shirl, the reading is then complimented with a craft that involves construction paper and a paper plate that when it's finished is the mask Max wears. Because she's amazing and brilliant.)

I watched the trailer for "Where the Wild Things Are" with the expectation that I'd be rolling my eyes by the end.

That wasn't the case. But I will tell you the reason I think I'll actually go see this movie is because of the amazing Arcade Fire song used in the trailer. See for yourself and try to tell me you didn't get a little teary-eyed.



And here is the full song, preformed live by these amazing musicians. Ahhh the power of music...

No comments: