Sunday, January 11, 2009

..."In your red lipstick and lilac kerchief you're the most pretty lady in the world..."

::PT waves to fashionista0921, knowing that this type of post is her usually territory::

The other day I wandered into Designer Days Boutique on Ellsworth Avenue in Shadyside. Having walked past it frequently on my trips to Salon 5844, I always meant to stop in but never did until this week.

It's your usual consignment shop in many ways. You have to dig for the good stuff and you have to have patience. I tracked down this cute pink angora hair capelet. I'm pretty stoked about that.

What makes Designer Days different from most other consignment shops I've been to is that it is actually a non-profit store. 100% of their proceeds go to women's and children's charities around the Pittsburgh area.

The $35 dollars I spent for my new-to-me capelet is going directly towards making the life of a woman or child better in Pittsburgh. The usual guilt I'm wracked with after shopping never set in.

They've got some seriously cute jewelry and random bits to finish out outfits. Go check it out and smile knowing that Pittsburgh is a cool and progressive place. You just have to know where to look.

3 comments:

Susan said...

The money I spend at my consignment store probably goes to a lady at the yacht club. But then she pays her cleaning lady, or pool boy or whatever with my money and those folks are likely to be friends of mine, so I suppose it's okay. Nice that yours requires less justification!

Fashionista0921 said...

Great post! I couldn't have done a better job!

Shopping at consignment shops is a great eco-friendly way of sprucing up a wardrobe.

love it

Peace Turkey said...

Susan -- Don't you love how we can "logically" justify anything? I completely follow your logic with your consignment shop. What I left out of the post was that I walked myself right across the street to my favorite boutique after I left the consignment shop and bought a pair of earrings, a fancy tshirt and a naughty book. All things I really can't think of a way to justify other than telling myself "but I was so charitable in the last shop!"

F0921- Grazie!