Tuesday, December 2, 2008

"... And if it's written on my face, I hope it never goes away..."

Generally I'm not the type of person who gets all wound up and bent out of shape about new consumer products. New Apple computer/iPod/iPhone products and new types of mascara are the exceptions.

Over the weekend, I went to the evil Walmart for some mascara. In my endless mission to get the longest, fattest eyelashes on earth without having to wear false eyelashes, I rarely buy the same mascara more than once. I was completely hooked on L'Oreal Voluminous Carbon Black mascara with the curved brush for like, YEARS. Then this summer I up and decided to buy a $20 tube of Dior mascara which I loved, but since I go through a tube of mascara roughly every 3-4 weeks, it's a bit too pricey.

On to the next mascara... Maybelline Colossal Volum' Express. As far as cheap mascara goes, I have to say this one is my favorite. I never thought anything would edge out L'Oreal Voluminous but I think this one has. This mascara lasted a good four weeks for me...

... but like I said, this weekend it was time to buy a new tube. You'd think I'd stick with the Maybelline. But no. I read too many fashion magazines and have now learned about something called mascara "tubes" - the latest and greatest apparently being L'Oreal Double Extension Beauty Tubes. And I'm all wound up and excited about it. And naturally, the Walmart by my parents house is a total backwater and didn't have the goods.

So, naturally, rather than reinvesting in the Maybelline Colossal Volum' Express, I had to be a retard and buy something new that I hadn't researched. I bought Maybelline XXL Volume + Length. I willingly spend like a ridiculous amount of time on mascara application each day, but I really hate the whole "put this white conditioning coat on first and then do the black coat" two-step mascara crap. And that's what this stuff is. And it's crap. Crap! Too much work and not enough payoff.

Here's my evidence. At left, you can see the lashes are kinda stubby looking. At right, they do look a little longer, but not very full. Lame.


















So what did I learn?

I learned I shouldn't get wound up about new mascaras and I shouldn't believe the hype, the marketing pitch and the claims on the package.

Total bummer.

I haven't decided if I'll use the whole tube or not... I'm very tempted to go back to my Colossal Volum' Express. I think I may have learned my lesson.

No comments: