Monday, November 24, 2008

"...And to the earth it gave great light..."


People who know me will tell you I'm one of the most irreverent people they've ever met when it comes to religion. I come by it honestly. I am my mother's daughter... Once, upon seeing a bust of the pope at a Buca di Beppo's Italian restaurant, my ma said "Oh look! It's the pope! I wonder if he's made of Parmesan cheese?"

That being said, I love Christmas. I've come to realize that I love Christmas not in the traditional "it's a high holy day for Christians" kinda way, but in a secular "I love twinkle lights and pine and ornaments and feasts with family and stockings hanging on the mantel" kinda way.

And I love love love Christmas music. I'm one of those irritating people who can listen to Christmas carols non-stop from now until New Year's.

It's a dreary and rainy day here in Pittsburgh and for some reason, the mood just struck me and I decided it's time to listen to Christmas music. So I'm signed into my XM Radio Online account and I'm listening to the "Holiday Traditions" station. The first song I heard was my favorite Christmas song of all time -- The First Noel. It's one of the more religiony, Jeebusy songs, but it makes me cry every time. And it reminds me of being with my family.

So. There's that. :-)

No comments: