Friday, November 28, 2008

"...And oh-oh just to be with you..."

This Thanksgiving, I have alot to be thankful for.

Just one short year ago I was in a really bad place in my life. Heartache that just wouldn't go away, a horrible job and the drudgery of graduate school were all piling enormous pressure on my (at the time) very, very slim (from not eating for seriously a year) shoulders.

So it is worth repeating... this Thanksgiving, I have alot to be thankful for.

Yesterday was such a happy and peaceful Thanksgiving. Nothing terribly exciting or wonderful happened. There was brunch at my parents' house, then laying around in front of the fire to work off the mimosa buzz and then dinner at an aunt's house. But I got to be with most the people who matter the most to me. I got to be with my parents and Sara. And I got to spend the day with Jason, whose calmness around both my nuclear and extended family is just amazing.

As I'm sitting here writing this, David Gray's "This Years' Love" just came on my Pandora station. It's appropriate. I feel so loved and taken care of this year. My family's and friends' support of me has never wavered and now this year I am lucky enough to have the support and affection of an amazing guy who just happens to find all of my annoying little quirks endearing.

I missed Ginny and Andrew and Ushma and Meredith yesterday and having them around would have been exquisite. I think my heart may have just burst from happiness. And I quietly missed Nana and Pap and Aunt and Uncle but each time I started feeling weepy, Jason somehow found his way over to me and put his arm around me. I think he's already developed a 6th sense about how to head off waves of angst or melancholy that can sometimes wash over me.

In a way, all of the small things about yesterday that made me smile add up to everything I'm thankful for this year: a family who loves me, a boyfriend who stands by me, and friends I'm lucky enough to have and whom I miss dearly.

[Source]


Amongst all of the love and affection and heavy emotion of yesterday, Aunt Pat provided some comedic relief. As we were leaving her house and I was hugging her, she said to me "Your boyfriend is cute you know." I said "Oh, I do know." She pulled back from our hug and put her hands on my shoulders and said "Ok, good. I was just checking to make sure you knew."

No comments: