Wednesday, May 7, 2008

"...And the little plastic castle is a surprise every time and it's hard to say if they're happy, but they don't seem much to mind..."

What can anyone really say about what's going on in Myanmar in the aftermath of the cyclone that hasn't been said? What is amazing to me is that the citizens there have not overthrown the government. Is it because they have been repressed so long that there is simply no fight left in them? It's hard to imagine what life is like there. For all of our talking about how well international governmental organizations keep much of the world in check, all it takes is a country like Myanmar being in the news cycle for a few days to make all of us sheltered academics realized that the world we live in is very far from the world we wish we lived in.

I'll admit I don't know much about Myanmar and its past struggles. For times like this, I turn not to Wikipedia, but to the CIA WorldFact Book. I can thank my sister, Sara, for introducing this resource to me.

If you, like me, don't know why Myanmar is called Myanmar now instead of Burma or how the junta came to power, give Myanmar's entry in the World FactBook a read.

No comments: