Wednesday, February 20, 2008

"...friends shakin' hands sayin', 'how do you do' ... they're really sayin 'I love you.' "

I know this blog is supposed to be academic, not personal. But I can't help myself sometimes. And this is one of those times.

Today is my last day of work at UPMC -- at my high-stress, low-paying, degrading job. I was so afraid that when my last day rolled around, I would be panic-stricken. I was terrified I'd end up regretting my decision to leave. I'll be completely honest with myself and all of you, dear readers...


I
COULD
NOT
BE
HAPPIER

(unless Colin Farrell was sitting in the sidechair in my office with me right now, smiling at me and chainsmoking.)


I was standing at the bus stop this morning at6:45am (for the last time), freezing my ass off on the wind tunnel that is 5th Avenue in Shadyside and watching the cars go by. My bus stop is at an intersection with a redlight, so often, I get treated to snippets of peoples' radios as they're waiting for the light to turn green.

This morning right before my bus came, a car stopped at the redlight. The lady was smoking so her windows were cracked just enough for me to clearly hear what her radio was playing... and I heard these lyrics before the light changed and she sped off...

"....think to myself
what a wonderful world
The colors of the rainbow
so pretty in the sky
Are also on the faces of people passin by
I see..."

There's so much ugliness in the world and so much doubt by we mere mortals about whether we can actually make our lives meaningful; whether we are making the world a better place by being in it. Something as silly as hearing that song on a day when I am actually thinking what a wonderful place this world is was enough to make me smile this morning before I had even had coffee. And now that I have my coffee, I find myself smiling even more.

Thank you for indulging me.

(One last personal note -- It's Wino Wednesday at Shady Grove. I will be there, drinking wine heavily in celebration of hanging up my UPMC security badge. Come have a glass of merlot with Turkey, Poox and Beck.)

No comments: