Saturday, January 19, 2008

A decidedly unacademic look at Three Kings or "Can this really be called homework if I get to watch George Clooney for two hours?"

Three Kings, starring the lovely George Clooney, came out in theatres when I was in high school. Being the 16 year old girl I was at the time, I made sure I saw the movie since you know, George Clooney was in it. I just wanted to see the pretty. Did I mention I was 16?

I wasn't that interested in politics until two years later when I was a senior in high school. (I can thank Al Gore's 2000 presidential campaign for that.) And I was in second grade when the Gulf War happened. So needless to say, the subject matter of the film was completely over my head the first time I saw Three Kings.

So last night, I took myself to Blockbuster and rented Three Kings. Then I went to Giant Eagle and bought myself dinner since I finally have some of my appetite back after getting the flu. (I highly recommend the grilled chicken panini.) I settled myself into my chair with my notebook and my panini and turned on the movie.

Two hours later, the movie was over, I was in tears, I hadn't finished my sandwich and all I had written in my notebook was, "Why did Marky Mark shoot that Iraqi just now? The Iraqi was waving a white cloth, wasn't he?"

George Clooney was just as lovely as I had remembered him eight years ago. This time around, though, I understood what was going on in the movie. And I have to say, I still have a much lower tolerance for dramatized violence these days than I used to. I suppose it might be my personal post-September 11th syndrome. It's all just a little too real.

So for right now, those are my only thoughts on the movie. I'm too traumatized. And still shocked at how naive and shallow I must have been the first time I saw Three Kings.

More to come...

3 comments:

Becky said...

Glad to hear you're feeling better. Yeah, Clooney is still hot. Some men just age so well!

I watched the film a few years ago and am excited to watch it again. I'll comment more after I do!

Becky said...

Ok so that didn't post so well so I'll just post it again! I don't think your comment page likes that long title up there!

Glad to hear you're feeling better. Yeah, Clooney is still hot. Some men just age so well!

I watched the film a few years ago and am excited to watch it again. I'll comment more after I do!

Mercedes said...

I'm not quite sure that George Clooney actually ages at all. He's been defying my ability to determine his age since he was on ER. I STILL don't know how old he is. The salt and pepper hair thing is confusing.

Anyway, if it's any consolation, I watched the movie for the first time on Saturday night, and spent the whole night have nightmares about fleeing with Iraqi refugees from all sorts of human rights violations. On the bright side, I seem to have been some sort of black belt or something.

I guess it's a nice break from my usual nightmares about spiders?